The Room That Told Me The Semester Has Started

 

                                                    Credit: Ai generated

Ageh Success

I had convinced myself there was no rush.

My department probably hasn't started classes," I told myself as I rolled over on my bed for what felt like the hundredth time that holiday. One more day at home would not hurt. One more meal cooked by my mum would not hurt either. Besides, if lectures had started already... na them sabi.

So, I took my time.

When I finally arrived at Queen's Hostel, bag in one hand and my Pepsi that I bought on my way in the other, I expected to meet a half empty room. After all, it was still early in the semester... or so I thought.

The room had other plans.

One bed was neatly arranged but empty. Another had books on it, with notes scattered across the table. Someone had obviously been living the "school life" long before I decided to resume.

"That's Adetutu," one of my roommates said. "She's in Veterinary Medicine."

Of course she was.

While I was busy enjoying my extended holiday, Adetutu had already resumed in the very first week. Veterinary Medicine students don't joke with resumption. Before some of us had even packed our bags, she had attended lectures, practicals, and was already talking about tests.

Omo, I no envy una department o.

I looked at her timetable and quietly thanked God I was not studying Veterinary Medicine.

A few days later, another roommate arrived, a Nursing student. Unlike me, she was not  in a hurry, but she also was not as relaxed as I had been. She resumed in the second week, just in time to settle in before lectures became too serious.

Then there was me.

The roommate who believed school could wait.

The one who squeezed every last moment out of the holiday, convinced that nothing important would happen without me.

As I unpacked my bags, listening to my roommates compare lecture notes and discuss assignments, it finally hit me.

The semester had started long before I did.

And somehow, one room with 3 roommates had managed to tell the entire story of resumption at the University of Ibadan.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FATSSSA'S PRESIDENT IMPEACHED, FOUR OTHER EXECUTIVE MEMBERS SUSPENDED

An Interview with the BGS of the Faculty of The Social Sciences, Miss Mofiyinfoluwa Shalom

Two Mariams, One Stage: JJ Classics Production Casts Sociology Sophomore, Osaremeh Ijebor, Opposite Veteran Thespian