AM I MY OWN ENEMY?

 


By Bhagemede

My alarm rings and suddenly I get off the bed… well not because of the alarm but because I heard a voice calling out to me saying:

 “Get off me!”

I was stunned, the room was quiet as usual alongside the clashing of buckets in other rooms but I was sure of what I heard.

I jerked up; the voice spoke again

 “Finally, you get off uhh… it’s about time” My bed spoke, the whole scenery was… hysterical. The alarm continued to ring.

“You can speak?” I asked.

“Yes, yes I can”.  You’re quite cocky for a bed - I mumbled.

“Why don’t you get off at the sound of the alarm, you set it for a reason… right?” It asked.

I was still in awe. I can’t believe I’m actually talking to my bed… that’s not intentional- I answered.

It started again “Each day, it’s ‘just five more minutes’ which turns to ten minutes then hours” it continued “Let’s not even talk about the previous nights – you are to sleep early but rather choose to be on your phone till God knows when”. My bed said with disdain.

I laughed, confused on whether to apologize or just find it all funny.

 “Hey, I’m speaking to you”

“I’m …m…m…” I hesitated.

 “You’re what?” You spill food particles on me like I’m a dining table, do I look like one?”

I looked over at the crumbs on my bed confirming my bed’s words true but all I could say was “Thank you?!”

It replied “Oh please, the alarm keeps on shouting, screaming and crying just for you to hit the snooze button, then why was it set?”. Maybe I overdo it.

It laughed and spoke “You check the time and say ‘there’s till time’ and end up sleeping through then blame me for being “too comfortable” that’s my jobbbb”.

I laughed… so what should I do?

What started to feel like an eternity, my bed replied “Respect me”

I stared in go on “Use me for rest and not as an escape from duties and responsibilities, it’s time to get up? GET UP!”.

By now I was wide awake and had my towel on me.

“Is that so hard?” it said concerned

“I’m here always, can’t run, I’ll be here when you return from that tedious day’s work”.

I reached for my phone before I could process and tell it what I was doing the phone

It shrieked “Don’t start oo, go have your bath”

I put it down and took what it had said personally.

 I woke at the ring of my alarm and realized my conviction was a dream.

My bed had spoken and was right, it just made sense. I listened.

      

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FATSSSA'S PRESIDENT IMPEACHED, FOUR OTHER EXECUTIVE MEMBERS SUSPENDED

An Interview with the BGS of the Faculty of The Social Sciences, Miss Mofiyinfoluwa Shalom

Two Mariams, One Stage: JJ Classics Production Casts Sociology Sophomore, Osaremeh Ijebor, Opposite Veteran Thespian