Header Ads Widget

Responsive Advertisement

Interview with Oyedeji Oyejare: FATSSSA General Secretary Aspirant




By Eniola Olaniyi

FATSSSA Press: Good evening, my name is Eniola, a Correspondent of FATSSSA Press. Can you please introduce yourself?

Oyedeji‬: My name is Oyedeji Oyejare. A second year student of the department of sociology, faculty of 'The Social Science', University of Ibadan. I'm currently the HOC of Sociology, 200 level class and constituency leader in NSASA House of Representatives for my class. I have served in FATSSSA legislative arm during my first year. I'm also the Treasurer for National Association of Osun State Students Association. I'm proudly known as Don Deji inside and outside University of Ibadan. I'm a native of Osun State, I am based in Lagos state. I have worked in more than two companies in Lagos as a secretary, I am a secondary school teacher, I have my own store where I sell different kinds of drinks. Does this satisfy your question? ‎

FATSSSA Press: It’s lovely to meet you. So what post are you currently running for?

Oyedeji‬: I'm running for the office of FATSSSA General Secretary.

FATSSSA Press: You mentioned your experiences in the department and in the faculty. Can you tell me what’s fueling your decision to run for General Secretary?

Oyedeji‬: The first reason for my intention is to ensure clarity and transparency between the executive members and legislative council during sitting, especially during budget disbursement. Secondly, to stop the challenges FATSSSAites face on their academic pursuit in terms of lost test and examination script as I see that it's endangering their academic life and performance. Also, I planned to provide students with the opportunity to learn valuable skills like database analysis is a great way to help them become more self-sufficient and gain valuable experience outside of the classroom. This will prepare them for life after school as most modern companies need employees that are computer literate and able to use software to analyze data. Lastly, shall ensure a projector is obtained for FATSSSA among others.

FATSSSA Press: I believe these are the content of your manifesto as well? Any other thing you’d like to add?

Oyedeji‬: Exactly. Yes, I'd like to add that; It is quite important that students have soft skills which can enable them to cater for their side needs and not wholly depend on their parents for allowances. Therefore, I planned to invite Nigeria's Minister of Market Equity Globally to come teach FATSSSAites in a seminar on how to make progress.

FATSSSA Press: That’s an ambitious statement. Alright. What are the roles of being a general secretary, and how have you been able to emulate these roles?

Oyedeji‬: Yes, according to FATSSSA Constitution; Chapter two, article 8: Firstly, The General Secretary shall head the FATSSSA Secretariat and shall have access to all files and documents. Secondly, The General Secretary Shall arrange for EXCO meetings and General Meetings at the instance of the President, stating the Agenda of such meetings. Furthermore, the general secretary is responsible for taking down minutes of the EXCO and General Meetings. Such minutes must be read and adopted before the commencement of any subsequent meetings. And, in conjunction with the Executive, submit to the FHR before the end of their tenure, a comprehensive report of the Executive Council’s activities during the session. The report must also include the Assets and Liabilities of the Executive. The approved report shall be copied to the FJC and the Press. Finally, as the successor to the office of the General Secretary, upon the discovery of any discrepancy in the contents of the inherited office, immediately lodge complaints to the House; failing which the successor shall be held responsible for the discrepancies so observed. This is just according to the constitution. I believe there are many more to it.

FATSSSA Press: Alright, great. So rounding up this conversation, I’d like to ask you. How do you intend on staying accountable to FATSSSAITES on fulfilling your duties, if elected as General Secretary?

Oyedeji‬: I planned on setting up a committee of department general secretaries because getting feedback from FATSSSAITES about their views on the administration is a way to ensure or measure the level of their satisfaction and improve where need be. To me, anonymous is not an effective way of getting feedbacks. Google forms and interviews would be done at the end of each month to ascertain the strength and weakness of the administration and all corrections would be adequately taken. This is a good way to stay accountable on my duties. Also, regular feedback will also be pasted on announcement board in the faculty.

FATSSSA Press: Okay thank you. Any other comments you would like to add?

Oyedeji‬: Yes, my intention of becoming the FATSSSA General Secretary is due to my experience and knowledge attained years back before enrolling as an undergraduate student in the University of Ibadan. I noticed that businesses and companies required more than just certificates to employ workers. They required the ability to use software in analyzing data. Also, there are some things that are hindering good academic performance of students in which I wish to find solutions to and lay the foundation to make easy accessibility. I will stop here for now. Thank you.

FATSSSA Press: Alright thank you very much for your time.

Post a Comment

0 Comments